Sunday, April 13, 2014

Welcome Spring!

This is the time of year when everything outside is blooming, the grass is growing (and yes, allergy season is beginning).  I love the spring, but especially this year, since we had the worst.winter.ever!  I can't wait until it is warm enough to get the kids outside in the pool, and relax in the sunshine!

I'm also getting excited about next school year.  I'm already planning in my mind about how I would like to do PD for our staff at school.  I have learned this year that offering trainings on multiple technology related things (rather than making them mandatory) gets the staff that are interested in learning out.  The people that show up at optional trainings are there because they want to be there, not because they have been forced to show up.  This makes things much more fun, and you are better able to meet the needs of those who are there, because the group is [much] smaller and interested in what you have to say.

This year, I introduced App of the Month.  I really like it, and I think I will do a variation of it next year.  I really want to encourage our staff members to try something new, whether it is to grow their Personal Learning Network (PLN), try a new app, or visit a new website.  Technology is here to stay, and everyone needs to embrace it, because it is constantly changing.

Next year, I would like my staffers to play Technology TicTacToe.  

I've selected several different types of apps/websites, and I would like everyone to pick 3 (preferably in a row) to learn about.  I think there is enough variety that everyone would get to pick things they can really use in the classroom.  

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to talk about each app in depth.  Some I am already very comfortable using.  Others, I'm going to need to try out and spend time working with.  But that is my favorite part about my job.  Trying new things.  Learning about new apps.  I have always embraced technology, and now I just get paid to do what I have always loved doing.  Who wouldn't love that?

What is your favorite app of those above?


No comments:

Post a Comment